||Sep 11, 2017
Intro to Unix
- Introduction to Unix shell.
|May 08, 2017
Red Cloud and the MATLAB Distributed Computing Server (MDCS)
- Introduction to Red Cloud and its features
- Quick demo of MATLAB work farmed out to Red Cloud using MDCS
- Overview of the MATLAB Parallel Computing Toolbox (PCT)
- Insights on various ways to run MATLAB computations in a cloud using PCT
|May 01, 2017
Mixing Languages in Scientific Codes
- Why you would want to mix languages.
- Common patterns, problems, and interfaces available.
- Using code to generate code.
|Apr 24, 2017
Debugging and Testing Strategies in Scientific Codes
- Rapid prototyping.
- Exploratory simulations.
- Large scale simulations.
|Apr 17, 2017
Docker and Deep Learning
- Getting started with
- Overview of deep learning and how it works.
- Introduction to various useful toolsets for deep learning.
|Mar 27, 2017
Mathematica == Fun(ctions)
- An overview of the numerous features of Mathematica (Wolfram Language).
- Complex procedures are easy with functional programming.
- Demonstrations with included code for everything you need to get started!
|Mar 20, 2017
Workflow and Build Automation
- Motivation for automation.
- Introduction to
- Available successors to
make, depending on your goals.
|Mar 13, 2017
Writing Advanced Matlab Code
- Overview of Matlab in the context of high performance computing.
- Explanation of how using Matlab's intrinsics can increase performance.
- Demonstrations of profiling code to understand where to focus tuning.
|Mar 06, 2017
Databases and Large-scale Data Analytics
- Managing high volumes of data through databasing.
- Accessible, open-source systems for analytics.
- Thorough discussion of, given the numerous factors and options, what to choose.
|Feb 27, 2017
Using Vagrant to Distribute Research Code to Colleagues
- Getting started with vagrant
- Get started with configuring vagrant
- Launch some iPython kernels!
|Feb 13, 2017
Numerical Software Engineering
- A summarization of best scientific software practices.
- Examples ranging from writing cleaner code to project management software.
|Feb 06, 2017
- A Primer on D3.js (and some Three.js)
- How to interactively visualize your data in your browser!
- How to embed these visualizations on presentations.
|Dec 05, 2016
Introduction to Knights Landing (KNL)
- High performance using the excellent KNL Accelerator Boards.
|Nov 28, 2016
Documenting your Codes
- Automatic documentation generation, triggered after each commit.
- Modern look and feel, with LaTeX equations and mobile support by default.
- Pointers to where you can host your documentation for free.
|Nov 21, 2016
Coding your Documents
- Building documentation of all shapes and sizes.
- Tools for simplifying / automating the process.
|Nov 14, 2016
Cloud Computing with AWS
- Introduction to the Amazon Web Service platform.
- Discussion large-scale storage options and file-systems.
- MapReduce in 80 lines or less!
|Nov 07, 2016
Statistical modeling, data visualization, and fun(ctional) programming in R
- Introduction to the
R programming language.
- Working with various kinds of datasets.
- The convenience and power of functional programming in
|Oct 31, 2016
Computing on Google’s Cloud
- Hands-on workshop using Google's cloud platform.
|Oct 24, 2016
An Introduction to Julia
|Oct 17, 2016
Where to Run Your Code: Real and Virtual Platforms
- Overview of the various resources available for distributed computing.
- Understanding the differences between them.
- How to decide which kind to use when.
|Oct 03, 2016
A Pythonic Whirlwind
- High performance python.
- IPython/Jupyter Notebooks.
- Interacting with Jupyter on a cluster.
|Sep 26, 2016
Using the Totient Cluster
- Queueing jobs on Totient (
- Brief example repository for
C programs using
- Shared terminal sessions (
|Sep 19, 2016
Working with Remote Hosts
- Overview of what a cluster is.
- Introduction to using
- Introduction to using
- Example repository for more convenient terminal and tools.
|Sep 12, 2016
Welcome to SSW
- Discussion of the goals of the club.
- Introduction to Unix and Windows shell.